[geeks] Zmodem inside of Telnet?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Wed Feb 25 12:16:51 CST 2004

I'm not sure where to even ask this question, so I'll start here.

Is there a way to do a Zmodem transfer inside of a Telnet session?

Why, you may ask.

I could rearrange some hardware and connect a modem right to a *nix box,
use a comm program like minicom (or even cu) to establish a call to a
remote stripped-down semi-*nix box, login there, run "rz", then issue
the magic escape character(s) and run "sz" on the originating machine
and transfer my file.

But I have some modems hanging off a Digi PortServer all ready to go.
To access the modem you telnet to the magic port on the Digi box and
you're connected straight to the modem.  Issue some AT commands and away
you go.  You can dial the remote connection and do everything up to the
"rz" step.  But then you're stuck.

I don't know of any tool that lets you start by establishing a telnet
session then running some program inside of it to do a file transfer.

Is there anything like this out there?

Oh, one last thing.  This would be nice to do this way as we have an
event that would have us doing several simultaneous transfers (different
remote systems), and I'd rather not have to configure several systems
each with their own modems.  And no, the remote systems aren't
networked, and no I can't just add a program to them (heck, I'd need
this solution to get the program to them :)

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator