[geeks] Zmodem inside of Telnet?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Thu Feb 26 07:16:36 CST 2004

    Dan> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:
    >> Is there a way to do a Zmodem transfer inside of a Telnet
    >> session?

    Dan> Yes, if your telnet/ssh client supports it and you have rz/sz
    Dan> installed on the remote system.

    Dan> I haven't done it from a unix workstation, but from a peecee
    Dan> running windoze or OS/2 I use ZOC as my telnet and ssh client.

    Mark> Yes, you can certainly do Zmodem inside a telnet session.
    Mark> Just run rz/sz from the shell, and then use a telnet app that
    Mark> supports Zmodem!  Like CRT or mTelnet if you are on a windows
    Mark> box (http://ozone.eesc.com).

After Dan and Mark (thanks guys!) reassured me that I wasn't crazy for
wanting to do this, I did what I probably should've done first and went
to freshmeat and looked for a suitable program.

Although I still haven't found a *nix telnet client capable of doing
this, I did find the xssh package, which acts as a wrapper around your
existing ssh or telnet client and can then run your existing sz/rz
connecting them to the ssh/telnet session.  Initial testing seems to
show it working as advertised.

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator