[geeks] holy shit, snow

Bryan Fullerton bjf at bryanfullerton.com
Thu Feb 19 12:51:53 CST 2004

At 07:37 PM 2/18/2004, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>I learned to drive in snow and ice.  My second lesson was on a major
>highway in
>a blizzard.  This was from a profressional driving school.  Using a Mazda
>Protege and
>have been through major storms, I can honestly say that I have gotten out
>of situations
>which just jammed up an SUV.  I think heavy foot on the accelerator is the
>major problem.

I drive a '95 Grand Cherokee with full-time 4x4 and have only had problems
when everything (ie roads, sidewalks, lawns, trees) is coated in ice. Of
course, I tend to drive sanely in bad conditions - reduce speed, turn off
overdrive on the auto transmission when visibility is bad or to engine
brake, drop to 2nd manually on hills if needed, etc.

My main concern is other vehicles on the road losing control around me -
even in Canada, a disturbing number of drivers don't understand driving in
snow and ice (or rain, or fog, or ...).

Bryan