[geeks] PC SCSI

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Dec 14 23:48:10 CST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 04:49:49PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Someone educate me on the current state of PC (x86) SCSI.  The last
> time I kept up with anything was when the Adaptec 2940 (and variants)
> were the "hot" card to have.
>
> Now, I've got a Dell machine here (old P3/500 dual Xeon with 1G RAM) and
> a pair of brand-new IBM Ultrastar 73G UltraSCSI-3 HDs.  Should I go with
> the onboard SCSI (Adaptec 7880?), a PCI 2940UW (got tons of them), or
> look at a newer card?

For best performance, I'd go with an AHA-29160 or 39160.  The 29160 is a
particularly good idea if you plan on having them share the bus with
slower devices, because it can segment the bus by speed instead of
slowing everything down to what the slowest device on the bus can
handle.  However, the cost of a 29160 might not be cost-effective for
you if you don't have one on hand.

I wonder what sort of controllers Buslogic would be producing now if
Mylex hadn't bought them out and basically killed them off.  Their
controllers were screamingly fast.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net