[geeks] What is a system admin worth these days?

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Dec 15 00:11:31 CST 2004

I've been putting in after hours work on a website / startup for the
past 18 months or so.  The principal has offered to compensate the low
salary* with stock - and wants a guesstimate (among other items) "The
amount you feel you should have received in a dollar amount".

I know what my time at the Day Job is worth - but I have no real idea
what a system administrator could command for his time.  I'd like to
give Michael a fair accounting of what I'm worth without being greedy.
And no, the place isn't in Wisconsin but in Seattle.**

Assume I have  10+ years of experience, buzz-word compliant, mixed Unix
(Solaris, mostly with BSD on the side) and Windows background.  What
would you charge?  What would you pay?  Any other comments?

Brian Dunbar
Systems Administrator

Display some adaptability

*By low I mean non-existent to minimal - we're talking 'fun' and
exciting career potential.  I admit I have odd ideas of what 'fun' is.
** Which is a source of low-level tension in the house.  If the company
launches, it's a fantastic opportunity.  On the other hand, it means
moving away from a place that has felt more like home than most places
I've lived.  On the gripping hand it's by-god-freaking cold up here
right now.