[geeks] ethanol...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Apr 27 21:51:33 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:42:52PM -0600, Dan Duncan wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > Oh, you mean they're rendering it for fuel and immediately burning it
> > for power?
>
> The plant you mentioned uses 15% of the fuel it produces to operate
> itself, but that means 85% of the fuel it produces is free and clear.

Right, it burns off the gas for heat and leaves the oil as product.

> Building the machine right next to a ready supply of biological waste
> saves a ton of transportation costs and disposal costs.

Yup.  Smart move, that.

>  It really is
> a trash to treasure wonder.  We have an alligator farm in Colorado
> for a similar reason.  It's next to a poultry plant and hot spring
> and turns poultry waste into suitcases and gator meat. [0]

heh.  :)

> I've wondered how long it would be before companies started to bid
> on the rights to go through old landfills to salvage recyclable
> materials, and this machine assembled at the landfill would make
> it much more likely.

Actually, if the thermal depolymerization process takes off, the
founder's already speculated that it will create a new industry in
mining landfills.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :