[geeks] ethanol...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 28 10:18:59 CDT 2004

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 @ 20:25 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> > Also, what about that company that is opening up power plants that
> > are supposed to burn most any biomass into various forms of fuel for
> > burning.  Supposedly they say every year we throw millions of BTUs of
> > energy away as chicken scraps, "waste fuel", and other things.
>
> Same outfit, I think.  They have a pilot plant in Philadelphia, and are
> building a much bigger one next door to a Tyson plant in the midwest
> that's going to render some absurd quantity of turkey guts per day into
> oil.

Yeah... they said that we are throwing away cities worth of power every
year in check guts alone.

After reading a recent Almanac and the section listing the current US
domestic animal population, I believe it.  I believe the figure for
chickens was in the billions.

That just blows my mind.

Cows were in the millions.

> > It's one of those things I'm going to have to see first, but evidently
> > a university in Georgia is running part of their operations on such a
> > generation plant.
>
> Oh, you mean they're rendering it for fuel and immediately burning it
> for power?

That's how I understood it.

I can't remember what they were converting, but I thought it was local
chicken remains.

A friend of mine sent me the link last year, but I can't find it right
now.  Maybe later.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.