[geeks] ethanol...

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Apr 27 21:42:52 CDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Oh, you mean they're rendering it for fuel and immediately burning it
> for power?

The plant you mentioned uses 15% of the fuel it produces to operate
itself, but that means 85% of the fuel it produces is free and clear.
Building the machine right next to a ready supply of biological waste
saves a ton of transportation costs and disposal costs.  It really is
a trash to treasure wonder.  We have an alligator farm in Colorado
for a similar reason.  It's next to a poultry plant and hot spring
and turns poultry waste into suitcases and gator meat. [0]

I've wondered how long it would be before companies started to bid
on the rights to go through old landfills to salvage recyclable
materials, and this machine assembled at the landfill would make
it much more likely.

-DanD

[0]  They will also sell you a pet baby alligator and take it back
when it gets too big to keep.  Brilliant!  Get someone else to feed
it for a couple of years and pay you for the privilege!

# When a man ceases to believe in God, He does not believe in nothing. He
# believes in everything.  G.K. Chesterton