[geeks] ethanol...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Apr 27 19:25:14 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:00:48PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Tue, 27 Apr 2004 @ 17:26 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
> > Neither does "fossil" fuel.  The new thermal depolymerization technology
> > that's currently under development can aparently process most forms of
> > municipal waste into semi-refined solid elements plus light crude oil,
> > and do it at a rate capable of ending the US's dependence both on
> > landfills and on foreign oil.
>
> Also, what about that company that is opening up power plants that
> are supposed to burn most any biomass into various forms of fuel for
> burning.  Supposedly they say every year we throw millions of BTUs of
> energy away as chicken scraps, "waste fuel", and other things.

Same outfit, I think.  They have a pilot plant in Philadelphia, and are
building a much bigger one next door to a Tyson plant in the midwest
that's going to render some absurd quantity of turkey guts per day into
oil.

> It's one of those things I'm going to have to see first, but evidently
> a university in Georgia is running part of their operations on such a
> generation plant.

Oh, you mean they're rendering it for fuel and immediately burning it
for power?

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :