[geeks] SPAM stats, was something about temptation and spam

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 22 11:33:13 CDT 2004

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 @ 07:26 +0100, Mike Meredith said:

> > That's what a lot of the spam I've gotten is.
>
> Yes. I don't look much at the origins of the spam at home, but the spam
> at work has swung in the last 12 months from mostly coming from
> spam-friendly ISPs (or NSPs) towards coming from everywhere. Well from
> Windows machines that are presumably infected with something.

Yep... I'm also getting complaints now from people claiming that I am
spamming them, or have a Windows virus.

I've had to waste a lot of time explaining to them that the headers are
forged, and that I don't run a box which can get a virus like they are
seeing.

It's bad enough they spam me, without using my address as the From
address in their spamming.

> > Here's some recent stats for me over the last few weeks (trimmed a
> > bit):
>
> For someone who doesn't keep stats on spam, your stats are very
> impressive ... I must improve my own stats script :-
>
> 	http://blackhairy.demon.co.uk/notes/spam-report

404 Not Found error...

> >  Statistics from 4.8.2002 to 23.4.2004	    <-- start date bogus
>
> Are you using the Date header there ? I decided to use the date on the
> last Received header as being more likely to be useful.

See the bottom of the report: I'm using a program called mls.

I have written my own program, but it isn't ready yet.

My program is just scanning headers for now to get some basic stats for
now.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820
2056 2054 434d 2048 4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53]