[geeks] SPAM stats, was something about temptation and spam

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 01:26:38 CDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:13:58 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Wed, 21 Apr 2004 @ 13:15 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
>
> > I've seen reports indicating they're already doing this.
>
> That's what a lot of the spam I've gotten is.

Yes. I don't look much at the origins of the spam at home, but the spam
at work has swung in the last 12 months from mostly coming from
spam-friendly ISPs (or NSPs) towards coming from everywhere. Well from
Windows machines that are presumably infected with something.

> I'm not keeping stats on my SPAM.  I get around 30-100 spams per day.
>
> Here's some recent stats for me over the last few weeks (trimmed a
> bit):

For someone who doesn't keep stats on spam, your stats are very
impressive ... I must improve my own stats script :-

	http://blackhairy.demon.co.uk/notes/spam-report

>  Statistics from 4.8.2002 to 23.4.2004	    <-- start date bogus

Are you using the Date header there ? I decided to use the date on the
last Received header as being more likely to be useful.