[geeks] one drawback to the new economy

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Apr 20 12:04:10 CDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:53:46 -0500, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net> said:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, N. Miller wrote:
>
> > In WebLogic, the JNDI connection pool names are the ones you have to
> > watch.
>
> In Websphere, it sometimes really is the hostname.  We have a server
> named "PROJECT5".  When we moved it to a different building, we had to
> redo the IP information, and I took that opportunity to rename the box
> to "project5", so as to be more consistent with the other systems.  The
> application server would not start because it couldn't find the (local)
> node "PROJECT5".  Renaming the server to "PROJECT5" got the middleware
> to crank right up.

Because of the way our environment is set up--we serve to the
external world, so have multiple layers of firewalling--we use IP:port
since we have no name resolution going on.

> I really love Java, but a lot of this middleware crapola makes me think
> the world would be better off writing its business systems in perl.

While I can't say I really *understand* it all yet, WL seems reasonably
robust and has extensive documentation.  Supposedly I am going to
the admin class next month, so we'll see if that sways my opinion one
way or another.

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller