[geeks] one drawback to the new economy

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Apr 20 11:53:46 CDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, N. Miller wrote:

> In WebLogic, the JNDI connection pool names are the ones you have to
> watch.

In Websphere, it sometimes really is the hostname.  We have a server
named "PROJECT5".  When we moved it to a different building, we had to
redo the IP information, and I took that opportunity to rename the box
to "project5", so as to be more consistent with the other systems.  The
application server would not start because it couldn't find the (local)
node "PROJECT5".  Renaming the server to "PROJECT5" got the middleware
to crank right up.

I really love Java, but a lot of this middleware crapola makes me think
the world would be better off writing its business systems in perl.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."