[geeks] one drawback to the new economy

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Apr 20 11:39:08 CDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:15:32 -0500, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net> said:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>
> > But I'm _it_ for this god-forsaken-application-from-hell that refuses to see
> > the database from the new app server.
>
> Is this one of those Java middleware nightmares (like IBM WebSphere)?
>
> I've found that a couple of them (WebSphere) are supersensitive about
> capitalisation in hostnames, which is thoroughly retarded, but makes
> some amount of sense given the Javacentricity of the whole clusterfsck.

In WebLogic, the JNDI connection pool names are the ones you have to
watch.

> Also, if you're using Orrible, make sure you have the listener turned
> on.  I can't count the number of times that's left me scratching my
> head.

And if the application developer has decided to turn on granular
security, make sure that they set the user perms on the rows
correctly...we fought with that all last week in a deployment here:

them: "Well it works for us in our development environment."
us:     "What user are you using for the db access?"
them: "The 'table_admin' user."
us:     "Well of course it works, that's like using root." [0]
them: "Oh..."

> > What timing - we're doing my performance reviews tomorrow ...
>
> Naturally.  Old man murphy lives in the server room.

Let us hope that your manager is smart enough to not allow a single
recent issue cloud his/her review of your value over the course of
a full year!

=Nadine=

[0] Not quite, but it got the point across, which was all that mattered
at that moment.  Yesterday's comments regarding performance tuning
were far scarier.
--
  N. Miller
  vraptor at promessage.com