[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Apr 1 17:28:18 CST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:35:00 -0600, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net> said:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, N. Miller wrote:
>
> > I have tossed around the idea with friends on numerous occassions whereby
> > positions in Congress are filled by draft.  Each and every American,
> > barring those with chronic illnesses or mental disability
>
> I assume you mean "a legal status of mental incompetence" rather than
> "mental disability", right?

Yes, that's better terminology.

> > Individuals could chose a second 4-year stint, separated by a minimum of
> > 4 years, should they like doing the work well enough to want to put in
> > additional service.
>
> It's a neat idea, but you'd need to find a way to stagger the turnover
> so that things would grind to a hault every four years.

Definitely.

> Then again, congress completely shutting down for a few months would
> mean they couldn't screw anything up during that time.  Sounds good to
> me!

I think this would be much less likely to happen, since you'd have
"regular
people" having to deal with the impact of their decisions while they were
in office back home.

I think the biggest problem would be getting a large enough pool of
people,
so I think we'd probably end up having "selective service" registration
for
everyone, regardless of age.  Either that, or take it from IRS rolls
(though
they might not last long with this kind of gov't :-).

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller
  vraptor at promessage.com