[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Fri Apr 2 02:41:34 CST 2004

On Apr 1, 2004, at 5:35 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, N. Miller wrote:
>> Individuals could chose a second 4-year stint, separated by a minimum
>> of
>> 4 years, should they like doing the work well enough to want to put in
>> additional service.
>
> It's a neat idea, but you'd need to find a way to stagger the turnover
> so that things would grind to a hault every four years.

well, actually you could divide it up so that each year 1/4 of the
representatives would be new. This way you always have 3/4 of the group
that sort of knows how the system works, and that would help smooth the
transition.

Of course there are other problems with the idea. For starters, if
you're no longer voting in your representatives, then it ceases to be a
democracy (like it really is now?), so you have to come up with a name
for this new form of government. Then there's the problem with having
to quit whatever it is you're doing now to run off to Washington for 4
years (let's say you've just started a new business, and after 1.5
years are just now starting to get it to break even, what? do you close
it down for 4 years?)

I actually like the idea in theory, but I think it would be harder to
implement it. Oh well, so it goes.

-Mike