[geeks] Share mouse/keyb

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 16 11:47:49 CDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Mike Meredith wrote:

> 1 .. I suggest you stop sending email then because spewing your address
>      over the net in plain text is exactly what you're doing when you're
>      sending to any mailing list.

You know what I meant.  Email addresses in the headers are obfuscated in
the canonical archive, but email addresses in the body are not.

>      Spammers can and have joined mailing lists for address harvesting.

And spammers have been kicked from lists for doing so.  Otherwise
straight-up companies who use this tactic have been boycotted (re:
Steven's mail address).

> 2 .. Including the email address in the attribution is a common default
>      in MUA's and in some cases this isn't subject to change.

Defaults can be changed.  If not, MUAs can be changed.  I've never
seen/used one where email address in the attribution is the default.

> 3 .. Attributing using just someone's full name rather than their email
>      address could be said to be broken. For instance on one mailing
>      list I'm not the only "Mike Meredith".

Just respect my damned wishes and don't use my email address in
replies/posts to the list.  I'll do the same for you.

> 4 .. It's too late to protect your email address from web harvesters ...

Oh, so if I pasted your adress a few times in an archived mailing list,
it wouldn't possibly make your address more "valuable" because it shows
up more often?

>      your email address has 61 entries in Google including a web page
>      on your own server!

Yeah, and that one needs to come down.  It's just a stupid README file.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols