[geeks] Share mouse/keyb

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 11:29:50 CDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:30:24 -0500 Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 xxxxxxx at aol.com wrote:
>
> > USER at DOMAIN.net writes:
>
> FIX YOUR EMAIL CLIENT.
>
> I -DO NOT- appreciate my email address being spewed in plain text over
> the 'net.  The email addresses in the list archives are obfuscated for
> a reason.

1 .. I suggest you stop sending email then because spewing your address
     over the net in plain text is exactly what you're doing when you're
     sending to any mailing list. Spammers can and have joined mailing
     lists for address harvesting.

2 .. Including the email address in the attribution is a common default
     in MUA's and in some cases this isn't subject to change.

3 .. Attributing using just someone's full name rather than their email
     address could be said to be broken. For instance on one mailing
     list I'm not the only "Mike Meredith".

4 .. It's too late to protect your email address from web harvesters ...
     your email address has 61 entries in Google including a web page
     on your own server!