[geeks] Share mouse/keyb

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 13:02:38 CDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:47:49 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Mike Meredith wrote:
> >      Spammers can and have joined mailing lists for address
> >      harvesting.
>
> And spammers have been kicked from lists for doing so.  Otherwise

Only the most obvious ones will get kicked for doing this. Unless you've
got specially tagged addresses for every list you won't be able to track
down where the spammer is getting the address from.

> > 2 .. Including the email address in the attribution is a common
> > default
> >      in MUA's and in some cases this isn't subject to change.
>
> Defaults can be changed.

Not always.

> If not, MUAs can be changed.

That's a sacking offense some places.

> I've never
> seen/used one where email address in the attribution is the default.

You have now (Sylpheed Claws). Judging by emails for the lists I'm on,
including the email address in the attribution is pretty common.

> > 4 .. It's too late to protect your email address from web harvesters
>
> Oh, so if I pasted your adress a few times in an archived mailing
> list, it wouldn't possibly make your address more "valuable" because
> it shows up more often?

Somehow I doubt it. Once a spammer has harvested an address it stays on
the lists pretty much forever ... I'm still getting a pretty large
amount of spam to an address that was used for about a month in 1993 and
certainly isn't on the web now (and probably never was). In fact I
wouldn't be surprised if they're still trying to spam
"meredithm%uk.ac.port.cv at nsf-relay.ac.uk" (pre-1993).