[geeks] The new G4 iBooks - anyone getting one? (looking for feedback)

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Oct 25 12:38:42 CDT 2003

On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at 04:29 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> BTW, my 15" Ti is still stuck... I tried to install OS X 10.1.1 (the
> only original CD I have) on an external firewire drive, but that failed
> on restart it seems (still working on that).
>
> My plan now is to try and get an OS running, copy off the files,
> install a larger HD (40 Gig instead of the existing 20 Gig) and rebuild
> my laptop. My 10.1.1 installer doesn't have a "repair permissions"
> button, and the "repair" and "verify" now complete fine (there was a
> broken cluster or two prior to the "repair")...

You could pull the HD out and put it into a FW cannister?
You can re-use this later for backups or your MP3's. ;-)
Alternatively, you should be able to get a 2.5" IDE to
"regular" IDE adaptor for a few bucks.  Toss that puppy
in the Mac desktop and pull the files off that way.
Then you don't have to waste time trying to get the OS
running.

If you can't do that, is your TiBook capable of booting off
an OS 9 system?  That might be easier than OS X at this
point.  I'd also suggest Disk Warrior--it seems to be a lot
better at fixing things than Drive 10.

=Nadine=