[geeks] Dog Be Gone

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Wed Oct 22 13:46:52 CDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Subject: Re: [vh] Prairie Dogs
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:36:14 -0600
> From: Richard Gugeler
>
> Hmmm. I realize Disney (along with National Geographic and The Smithsonian)
> is trying to turn the prairie rat into the next Bambi, but:
>
> 1. They are large rodents; just like rats.
http://www.port11.net/~atom/myrat.jpg (she used to love to sleep in my
ss1k)

> 2. They are cannibals.
> 3. They destroy farmers crops.
> 4. They destroy ranchers' grazing lands and create cattle-crippling holes.
The prairie dogs that where shot in this video where living in the wild,
not on farmlands.

> 5. They're plague-carrying vermin.
So are we. *caugh* HIV *caugh* STD's

> 6. Hunting is more humane than poisoning, which is what farmers and ranchers do.
> 7. To stop the spread of plague, numerous prairie rat towns were poisoned by
> the state of Colorado a year or two back.
> 8. They breed like, well, rats and don't have enough natural enemies to keep
> the population in check.
>
> Hunting them:
>
> 1. Decreases the threat of plague.
> 2. Provides needed population control.
> 3. Helps farmers and ranchers and keeps your friend's grocery bills down.
> 4. Decreases the expenses of the state which otherwise has to engage in
> wide-spread poisoning.
> 5. Generates revenue for businesses (ammo sales, etc.) and the state
> (hunting licenses).

How about catching them, taking care of them and trying to find a way to
cure their deseases. This will be a revenue for businesses too. And a
way more human way of doing things.

> 6. Ammo and license sales fund state wildlife programs. No hunting, no
> wildlife management.

There are many reasons why some things are good and some are bad. But
personally when we had the DC sniper here I am sure nobody put the
comments on the crime scenes like they do with their video.
"Can you tell whose day is about to be ruined?"
"Prairie Dog Olympic Training In Progress"

This is just my opinion killing something living out of fun is wrong.
That is why we invented video games right? That is why we try to
build supercomputers so we can simulate nuclear explosions in real
without really having to blow one up.

If I could just get .gov to code some intense version of command and
conquer, network them with every country on this world, and have them
fight each other virtually. No more blood.