[geeks] Re: was Suzuki Samurai, SPARC proprietary (waaaay off track)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Oct 17 14:08:06 CDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:03:27 +0000
wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> > One would hope that the pedestrian in question knew he was putting
> > himself into harms way by stepping into a street just after a blind
> > corner and was comfortable with taking his life into his hands.  If
> > not, he's a Darwin Award candidate.
>
> Unfortunately, in some states, pedestrians have the "right of
> way"...it will be your damn fault.

Even in places where a pedestrian has the right of way, it's limited to
marked crossings and intersections.  You can't very well cross wherever
you damn well please - I would hope anyway.  Even in the People's
Republic of California (at least the parts I've lived in) the pedestrain
would get a ticket for jay-walking.  Never mind pedestrian restriction
on limited-access roads, like I was on - but, admitedly, I didn't
specify that.

> His point of slowing down when coming to a blind curve is valid.
> There are too many idiots out there!  As far as the squirrel....it
> dies.  I've had too many <add your own description here> riding up my
> exhaust pipe to risk a rear end collision and most of those are SUVs
> that outweigh my rice burner.

The point is valid, sure.  I agree with slowing down, but sometimes the
practicality of doing so isn't very good.  Sometimes you have to take an
acceptable risk while driving - that's why it's a licensed sport.  :)

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."