[geeks] IRIX TCP performance

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Jan 19 05:11:50 CST 2003

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 08:54:28PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I have a beefy Alpha on a FDDI ring (running NetBSD/alpha v1.6) and
> an SGI Octane (running IRIX 6.5.11) on a temporary 10Mbps ethernet
> drop, talking through a Cisco Catalyst 5000.  I'm trying to FTP some
> large files to the Octane, and I'm only getting about 30-35Kbps
> throughput.
Does the Cisco make proper IP (de-)fragmentation?
E.g. the 3COM LANplex (?) 2500 is knowen to have "problems" with this.
Try to set the MTU on the FDDI interface to 1500 bytes?

BTW: Good news for all NetBSD useres with big endian machines and DEFPAs:
The obscure big endian bug in the DEF[TEP]A driver is gone.

> I have about 2GB of stuff to move, so this kinda sucks.
Connect temporary disk to Alpha, tar data on raw disk, move disk to
Octane, untar.
--

tsch|_,
          Jochen