[geeks] IRIX TCP performance

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 19 07:30:25 CST 2003

From: "Dave McGuire" <mcguire at neurotica.com>
>    I have a beefy Alpha on a FDDI ring (running NetBSD/alpha v1.6) and
> an SGI Octane (running IRIX 6.5.11) on a temporary 10Mbps ethernet
> drop, talking through a Cisco Catalyst 5000.  I'm trying to FTP some
> large files to the Octane, and I'm only getting about 30-35Kbps
> throughput.  I have about 2GB of stuff to move, so this kinda sucks.
>
>    What is going on here?  I'm wondering if anyone else has run into
> this and can tell me what's going on before I have to resort to
> spending a nice quiet evening with tcpdump.

Could it be dodgy half/full duplex negotiation on the 10 Mbps Ethernet
segment? I don't know IRIX but I assume there's a way to tell it explicitly
what network settings to use?

I know that at work when we used to run FDDI and ethernet we had problems with
frame sizes and had to force the MTU to 1500 on boxes on the FDDI network to
compliment the ethernet network.

This was all setup before my time and seemed kinda backward. I thought one of
the advantages of FDDI was the large MTU. Perhaps it was the fault of the
Madge bridge.

Will.