[geeks] Re: HP's squandering

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 14 17:26:28 CST 2003

<<
I loved my 6310

I MISS MY 6310

God US phones are shit. Thankfully they will be offering the 6310 here
later this year when AT&T Wireless finsihes their full GSM services
rollout. Including honest to god full sms. At that point Im cancelling
my SprintPCS account and switching over to AT&T. Unless in that time the
folks at sprint figure out that phone numbers can have more than 10
digits that is.

The fucked up part about that is that their systems can handle
international sms just fine. The SYSTEM has a full service gateway. But
they only accept 10 digit numbers or a phone email address.

Idiots.

T-mobile allows users to send SMS to international numbers, but they
can't receive them unlessits sent to the phones email. Cingular is the
same. Neither of them are offering the Nokia Tr-Band phones. I need a
national full coverage network and AT&T is the only one that will do
honest to god SMS and offer Nokia Tri-Band phones. They STILL wont let
you activate a phoen you bought in europe on their network though if the
phone is SIM unlocked I don't see how they're going to stop you.

I bought a 6310i for business recently and it is easily the best mobile
I've owned - I can't understand why the USA has put off rolling out GSM for
so long. The battery life is 2+ weeks on standby, the keys can be used by
'man sized' fingers, and the tri-band feature means I can use it when I
travel to NZ/Australia/Europe/USA. The only things I don't like are that
the cover has _no_ replaceable parts (so you need to be careful about not
dropping or scratching the phone), and the heavy use of on-screen animation
is IMO a bit cheesy.

Be careful though - the base model 6310 isn't tri-band capable, you need to
get the 6310i. Unfortunately they are cosmetically identical. I bought a
non-contract (i.e. outright purchase with no SIM lock) new phone and paid
around 375USD but I'm sure they're cheaper outside of New Zealand.

Regards,

Gavin