[geeks] 1911A1 handguns (was Re: Help me convert...)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jan 7 22:37:47 CST 2003

Michael Schiller <schiller at agrijag.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 04:28 PM, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> >  Odd state, open carry is legal and protected, but
> > concealed carry is illegal.
>
> I wonder, in several states I've lived in WV, TN, and while I've never
> lived there, NC all allow open carry, however I've been told on
> numerous occasions that if you choose to carry a handgun open, you can
> expect to get hassles by law enforcement (this from either law
> enforcement themselves, or other officials)
>
> By 'protected' do you mean to say that you can strap a handgun on your
> side, walk down Main Street and NOT get hassled by the police?

Well no.  I figure that act of open carry is so brazen that most people
assume I must be a LEO of some kind.  I've heard stories from people
that got hassled and charged with "inciting panic" wether or not panic
was actually incited.  Arrogant cops trying to toss their weight around
mostly.  By protected, I mean the law the provides for it - in practice
that may not hold true.

Also, incorporated towns and cities are allowed to dictate their own
open carry statutes, so while one town might make it legal, the next
town over might restrict it.

However, most of the stories I've heard of (where a person was hassled
and charged with something) have been thrown out of court.  YMMV, of
course.

> How are OH's laws regarding people from out-of-state? With my current
> licenses (both FL & TN) I'm legal in about 20 different states (I
> believe I'm legal in all the states that border OH other than WV), if
> I was to come visit you for a day of shooting, would I be able to
> bring one or more of my handguns, or would I be facing legal troubles?

No CCW in OH at all - even if you have a valid permit in any other
state.  Not even off-duty LEOs are allowed to carry concealed weapons.
I might be mistaken, but I don't think *on-duty* LEOs can carry
concealed either.  I'm pretty sure you can bring your handguns, but
transport them with empty guns in one bag/box/case/whatever, and the
ammo completely seperate.  Stick the guns in the back, and put the ammo
on the front seat.  A loaded handgun in a car in OH will get you beat up
and tossed in jail (unless you work for the gov't, that is).

OH does have some decent provisions for bringin guns into the state for
hunting and recreational purposes - Camp Perry is here after all :)

--
Kurt                "I remember that I've got a solid base of worms and
kurt at k-huhn.com      ant eggs.  I puke like a hero all night long."