[geeks] 1911A1 handguns (was Re: Help me convert...)

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Tue Jan 7 10:18:55 CST 2003

No, no you cant. That's one of the things that always concerned me, even
not having any children was the possibilty that a child, or some other
irresponsible party (theres lots of adults I know I wouldn't ever let
NEAR a firearm of any kind) getting their hands on one of my weapons. I
worry about it, but I keep them locked up (except for whichever one I
happen to be using as my primary defense/home defense weapon) keep the
ammunition locked in a separate location, and use some type of safety
locking device (barrel, trigger, or hammer lock basically) on all of
them. And I keep the defense weapon either on my person or within sight
at all times. I figure that's about the best I can do.

> I'm in the
> process of working up a couple of loads using .45 185gr
> bullets for defense
> and target.  I won't reach .400 CorBon velocities, but the
> projectile will
> be heavier - and IMO that's important in defense rounds.

Hey man, retained mass * retained velocity at impact = delivered energy.
Delivered energy isnt everything, but it certainly helps. Of course you
have to actually deliver all of that energy into the target which is
where bullet choice comes into play.

For my money theres very little better than the old flying ashtray
(basically a 235 grain FMJ turned into a 185 grain JHP or SJHP) when
loaded up as a +p or +p+/.45 super, assuming your weapon can handle the
pressures and recoil involved, and that you are comfortable with them.
Plus the muzzle blast can be impressive even out of a five inch barrel.

Chris Byrne