[geeks] Re: Windows XP?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Feb 7 11:19:59 CST 2003

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 10:47  AM, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> There's also the intangible reason - XP is "icky" for some reason.  I
> can't
> quite place my finger on it, but there it is.  To me, 2000 is just the
> addition of some multimedia support onto NT4 - an OS I actually *like*.

The icky is from the random errors and borkeness that pops up after
extended use (especially Java stuff), the fact that you have to
activate service packs, and the Fisher Price "You're a baby" Poop UI
(which can't be totally gotten rid of... )

Two reasons to like 2000

Non Stoneage DirectX support... so it runs everything as well as or
better than Win9X
Robust network OS services (Active Directory (LDAP), MMC, and robust
tools now built-in rather than an afterthought (free remote admin via
Tservices))

Andrew