[geeks] Re: Windows XP?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Feb 7 11:57:18 CST 2003

Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> The icky is from the random errors and borkeness that pops up after
> extended use (especially Java stuff), the fact that you have to
> activate service packs, and the Fisher Price "You're a baby" Poop UI
> (which can't be totally gotten rid of... )

Wait wait wait - "you have to activate service packs"?  Seriously?
I'm...confounded by this.  I'm beginning to see why large corporate entities
are making the move away from Windows.  Dang!

Yeah, I hate being treated like a kindergartener by my computer.  If I want
a cutesy UI with tutti-frutti color schemes, I'll...well, I don't want
that....

> Two reasons to like 2000
>
> Non Stoneage DirectX support... so it runs everything as well as or
> better than Win9X
> Robust network OS services (Active Directory (LDAP), MMC, and robust
> tools now built-in rather than an afterthought (free remote admin via
> Tservices))

That was part of my reasoning as well.

--
Kurt                 " Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to flagellate
kurt at k-huhn.com        myself with a soldering iron."