[geeks] PayPal sucks...sometimes

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Tue Dec 23 15:50:59 CST 2003

I bought my daughter a wooden kitchen set off eBay at the beginning of November
with the intention of giving it to her for Hannukah.  The seller turned out to
be a scammer and has nailed not just me but also a bunch of other people.  Like
an idiot I paid with PayPal drawing the funds directly from my bank account (I
don't know why, I guess I was in the middle of paying a bunch of credit cards
off and I thought that I just didn't want to add this to the mix of things...so
I paid with cash/PayPal).  Dammit...so now I'm trying to negotiate eBay's awful
fraud/buyer protection system to try to get SOME money back.  What irks me
about PayPal is that they try to sort of "push" you into paying with your bank
account offering some "buyer protection" and what not.  I've learned my lesson:
never, ever do anything with eBay/PayPal without a credit card to back it up.
At least if I had used a credit card I could claim the charge was fraudulent/
invalid and get some shelter from eBay/PayPal's crappy system.  What a
system.

Ido

P.S. And I really hope the seller rots...he's not only pissed me off but a
     bunch of others as well.  I wonder if I could get the other buyers together
     and contact his state's attorney general and file some sort of criminal
     action.  I'm thinking about filing mail fraud charges against him with
     the Internet Fraud Complaint Center.
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           		E-mail:          ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect			idubraws at reshetsystems.com
dubrawsky.org