[geeks] Kronos timeclocks

sunhelp-geeks at ian.viemeister.com sunhelp-geeks at ian.viemeister.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:51 CST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> When they were setup about a year ago, i was never satisfied with them
> because of the lack of default gateway setting, and not knowing why the
> hell they actually worked.  I attributed it to Cisco-voodoo, and moved

Sounds like the cisco might be doing proxy-arp.  If my (fuzzy) memory is
correct, at least some IOS versions have that turned on by default.

The procurve should be able to do proxy-arp too, but I think it'll only
work if the procurve is directly on both subnets (ie, it wouldn't work if
you had to hop through the procurve *and* the cisco, but from one
directly-connected subnet to another on the same device should work).

(Cisco has a decent "What *is* proxy arp, anyway?" at:
 http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/5.html if you haven't encounted
 this particular perversity before.)

--Ian