[geeks] Kronos timeclocks

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:51 CST 2003

Ross Alexander wrote:

>* Dan Sikorski:
>

>>Here's a longshot, but, does anyone have experience with Kronos 400
>>series ethernet timeclocks?  They have settings for an IP address, but
>>no setting for a default gateway.  I need to be able to talk to them
>>through a router.  (actually a HP procurve 4108gl switch doing routing
>>between VLANs.)  If anyone has dealt with those clocks, and has some
>>advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>I'm not sure which models we have, but like yours there's no setting for
>a default gateway. Somehow, some of ours do communicate through routers.
>I didn't believe it at first, but they work. Have you tried yours?

Well, here's how it goes:  We have the time collection PC on the
192.168.1.0 network.  We have some timeclocks at another location on the
192.168.8.0 network that is connected via a t1 and two cisco routers.
When they were setup about a year ago, i was never satisfied with them
because of the lack of default gateway setting, and not knowing why the
hell they actually worked.  I attributed it to Cisco-voodoo, and moved
on with my life while they worked just fine for the last year (and
continue to work).  Well, now we're adding two timeclocks on the
192.168.7.0 network that is connected by the aformentioned procurve
switch and VLAN'ed off (the 192.168.7.0 network is for one building, the
192.168.1.0 network is for another, the buildings are connected via
buried fibre.)  The procurve does the routing, so the Cisco-voodoo (or
whatever else makes the 192.168.8.0 clocks work) doesn't apply.

Here's the kicker:  Right now, if i ping the new 192.168.7.0 clocks from
the 192.168.1.0 network, i will get one or two replies, and then
nothing, which makes even less sense to me.  I have always been able to,
and still can ping the 192.168.8.0 clocks with no problem whatsoever.

Any ideas?

    -Dan Sikorski