[geeks] Re: [rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:48 CST 2003

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 @ 21:52 -0500, Kurt Huhn said:

> I usually use a muzzleloader, and by necessity, that's a .45 projectile.
> Here in Ohio you can't use anything but a muzzleloader or pistol as a
> firearm.  But you're right.  In a lot of places and situations, anything
> over .270 may be overkill.

Muzzleloaders are fun.

My father built a Kentucky long-rifle when I was a kid.  It has an early
lock, and a modern barrel.  There used to be a big trade in old locks
from the 1600s onward, usually paired with a modern barrel.

I remember reading the Dixie Gun Works catalog, and a few others, which
might not even exist now.

If you are adept at carving, it isn't that hard to make a decent stock.
It's mostly a time thing.  I never had the patience for it, and I can
only do something functional anyway.

Anyway, I liked the thing.  Very heavy to hold up for long.  However,
it makes for steady shots even if you have shaky hands, because of the
weight.  Once you get used to it, it isn't all that bad.

Most people probably don't realize that even way back in the day, they
had scopes.  Often they had no lenses, but they worked fairly well.

A muzzle loading long rifle can hit targets accurately, at quite some
distance.

Lot's of fun.