[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:46 CST 2003

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 @ 02:24 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> (Personally, I consider the three-round-burst feature a good idea for
> untrained troops, but with proper fire discipline and trigger control,
> it shouldn't be necessary.  I know from personal experience I can
> squeeze off consistent two and three round bursts with an automatic
> weapon.)

Going aside to something even more geeky:

I have a good time playing a game called Infiltration.  It's a realistic
combat mod for the old Unreal Tournament game.

Most people hate the game, because it isn't the normal cartoon-combat
first person shooters they are used to.

Your have to pick a loadout of weapons, and you pay a penalty on what
you carry in terms of walk/jog/run speed, and how fast your become
physically tired.

Getting shot kills you, which is an amazing combat for shooting games.
Unfortunately, the UT engine doesn't easily facilitate site-specific
wounding, so non-fatal hits either jar you (body armor hit), or reduce
your stamina and the rate at which you recover from injury and exertion.

Weapons can get hung on objects, and have a ballistics model, and no
on-screen sights.  They did a good job of modeling iron sites and
scopes.  When you are tired, your weapon is unsteady, especially if you
use a scope.

In the new version, you can also set claymores with remote or tripwire
detonation, and have different kinds of grenade throws.

It's a really nice combat system, with obvious concessions to being on a
computer, and dealing with UT's limitations.

I like it because team combat in most FPS is impossible, because the
game usually allows Rambo tactics.

In a game 2 years ago with an older version, I was ambushed by three
guys in an alleyway.  I estimated I had about 3 seconds to live, and my
sniper rifle was too cumbersome to use that close, so I drew a pistol
and went fully prone.

To make matters worse, two more came up behind them.  All five opened
fire.  It was pretty impressive, but 3 seconds later I was still alive.
Most rounds were striking a slight rise in the street in front of me,
and a truck above and to my left.

The two guys in back, fired into the backs of their teammates, killing
two of them.

I threw a grenade behind a box.  Instead of taking cover, they continued
firing,  One more dead.

I hit the last two with head shots from my pistol.

My only problem was I got hit once before going prone, and was too weak
to be of use for the rest of the mission, and it was set up so you had
only one "life".

The other team quit anyway, saying that I had cheated and hacked the
game server.  As one of them put it, "There is no fucking way you
are still alive after all that lead!"

Death in the new version is handled by a simple but effective
reinforcement system.  After a waiting period you are back in the game
as part of a "wave", which consists of those who died in the last wave.
This is a setting which the server admin sets, along with other related
parameters.

All in all, it is a nice combat system.

I run this under Linux too, which avoids the Windows thang.

Unfortunately, I have only a modem connection to play with.