[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:46 CST 2003

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:28:38PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Going aside to something even more geeky:
>
> I have a good time playing a game called Infiltration.  It's a realistic
> combat mod for the old Unreal Tournament game.
>
> Most people hate the game, because it isn't the normal cartoon-combat
> first person shooters they are used to.

[snippage]

Sounds interesting.  Where can I find it?

> I like it because team combat in most FPS is impossible, because the
> game usually allows Rambo tactics.

Ever played Ghost Recon?  I find it the best and most realistic FPS I've
used.  (Well, OK, it's not a *pure* FPS in single-player mode; it's
squad-based, allowing you to assign a squad of up to six for each
mission divided into up to three fireteams of no more than three per
team, and you can run it entirely as an observer, doing nothing but
issue orders, or be in personal FPS control of one trooper at a time and
switch between them as needed.  I tend to spend most of my time running
a sniper.)

Unlike UT, GR *DOES* allow for location-specific wounding, with various
resulting degrees of disablement depending on the location of the hit
and what you were hit with.  The weapons are also VERY accurately
modelled, operation-wise, and it's visually excellent.  (To quote one
friend: "DUDE!  The LEAVES on the fucking TREES move!")  The most
important limitation, IMHO, is the limited maximum range imposed by the
rendering engine's necessary distance-fog limit, though if you have a
fast CPU and graphics card, there are patches available that push the
haze limit out, at some cost to frame rate in places.  I like this
myself, as it makes for much more effective sniping.

I had one special-ops trooper stop an AK round almost at the end of her
mission.  She completed her mission with a sucking chest wound, and got
a CMH for it.  (And, to add to the realism, she was unavailable for the
next mission, recuperating from her wound.)

> In a game 2 years ago with an older version, I was ambushed by three
> guys in an alleyway.  [...]

> The other team quit anyway, saying that I had cheated and hacked the
> game server.  As one of them put it, "There is no fucking way you
> are still alive after all that lead!"

Heh.  Pissant wankers.  :)

> Death in the new version is handled by a simple but effective
> reinforcement system.  After a waiting period you are back in the game
> as part of a "wave", which consists of those who died in the last wave.
> This is a setting which the server admin sets, along with other related
> parameters.

Oh yeah...  speaking of death, in GR, "When you're dead, boy, you're
fucking DEAD."  And not just for that mission.