[geeks] Cold Steel knives

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:35 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:58:03PM -0500, R. Lonstein wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 05:37:13PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Anybody here own any Cold Steel knives?  If so, your thoughts on them?
> 	[snip]
>
> They always struck me as gimmicky knockoffs of questionable quality.
> Try looking here for "production":
>  http://www.agrussell.com
>
> I'm fond of CRKT, Gerber, Spyderco and A.G. Russell's eponymous brand.

The hearsay I've heard is very good about Spyderco and A. G. Russell.
Personally, the only one of these brands I have direct experience of is
Gerber, and my Gerber Explorer MM-IIIK has done sterling service for me
thus far and doesn't seem likely to ever let me down.  I *LIKE* my
little black knife, and it disappears *so* nicely into a boot-top or a
sleeve.

(I will note, though, that the original scabbard it came with was a
 piece of crap, made from synthetic fake-leather that came apart very
 soon.)