[geeks] Cold Steel knives

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:49 CST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:33:38 -0500, "Phil Stracchino"
<alaric at caerllewys.net> said:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:58:03PM -0500, R. Lonstein wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 05:37:13PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > > Anybody here own any Cold Steel knives?  If so, your thoughts on them?
> > 	[snip]
> >
> > They always struck me as gimmicky knockoffs of questionable quality.
> > Try looking here for "production":
> >  http://www.agrussell.com
> >
> > I'm fond of CRKT, Gerber, Spyderco and A.G. Russell's eponymous brand.
>
> The hearsay I've heard is very good about Spyderco and A. G. Russell.
> Personally, the only one of these brands I have direct experience of is
> Gerber, and my Gerber Explorer MM-IIIK has done sterling service for me
> thus far and doesn't seem likely to ever let me down.  I *LIKE* my
> little black knife, and it disappears *so* nicely into a boot-top or a
> sleeve.

My bias w/folders is that I hate the danged versions that have the
flexing
lock piece up inside the handle right under the hinge.  I have only found
a couple that have the lock someplace else (if anyone can recommend
other brands than below, I'd love to hear about them).

I have two Cold Steel folders.  One is a tanto serrated.  The point was a
little weak on it as far as I am concerned.  The other is one of the
"rescue"
type serrated jobbies (bigger); it doesn't have a point in the
traditional sense
and seems pretty good as well.  Both have the "kryton" type handles.

I previously had a Gerber (the SO had two, one went missing).  They make
some of theirs in 626, if you are hard on them and want to keep a good
edge.  The only problem that I had with these was that there is a bolt
that
runs through the handle to keep the blade and the clip attached, and the
stupid thing loosens up all the time.  You can sort of finger tighten it,
but
the clearance around the hole so it's flush with the handle is too small
for
a normal tool to be able to take it out and put some thread lock on it.
You
have to ship it back to Gerber to get it tightened up really well, and
who
wants to do that?

=Nadine=

--