[geeks] YAGCT

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:21 CST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Nick wrote:

> I was under the impression that the far left considered guns soul
> destroying menaces to society.  What gives?  Or have you taken some
> different meaning of left than the one I'm assumeing?

That is a common misconception about leftists, I am hard left too and I
have probably logged more "live fire" gun hours than a lot of the gun
toting people in this list.

The issues I have with the gun lobby is their outlandish claims that gun
control = gun banning. And some of the very condescending mails by some of
the pro-gun people sort of showed that.

I am for gun ownership, only if the person in question has shown the
capacity and ability to own AND operate a gun. In that case, no worries no
one is gonna come and take your gun from your cold dead hands. However in
a place where it is almost easier for a kid to get a hand gun than a book
at his/her highschool library... it is clear that something has gone
seriously wrong... and that something needs to be done.