[geeks] Swapping Sparc boxes...

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:09 CST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > on Solaris.  I can address the third partition on my second disk as
> > /dev/sdb3, or as /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part3, or as

> Egad, but that is really, really fugly.

Yes.  Although is /devices/pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/sd at 0,0:a,raw really much better?
I suspect the one below is more meant to be used...

> > /dev/sd/c0b0t1u0p3.

> I have to wonder why they did host and bus separately instead of just
> doing channel, like Solaris does.  I suppose the Linux way is more
> correct, but it's another number to keep up with.

I also wonder why the two forms insist on using DIFFERENT nomenclature.
Is it so wrong to be somewhat consistent?  Why c0 when they call it
host0 above?  Why u0 for lun0?

I can see wanting to do controller and bus separately, in some circumstances.
But a lot of the rest seems silly.

--Kurt