[geeks] Powa outage in NY. Blaster worm?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Aug 14 23:51:00 CDT 2003

IT was horrible.

I just got home an hour ago.

I was in MTV studios working on setting up a brand new printer (before
I could find a power outlet the power died) when it happened.

I meandered back to Grand Central... found it a no go... walked to 61st
and Lexington... called my gf...

Went to 80th or so... went through central park to the west side to
90th.

Was extorted out of 8 bucks (all I had...lucky he didn't take my
Powerbook FW) by some guy who pretended I broke his glasses by kicking
them after he dropped them... truth is he dropped them and I heard it
and he was 20 ft behind me...

I walked to the West side highway... tried to cross... couldn't ... got
to Columbia U.. and got 4 bucks donated to me and offered a sandwich...
was told how to get an M5 bus to 178th street where I could get a bus
to Fort Lee NJ... I was packed like a sardine into the bus... and that
was an agonizing hour and a half journey complete with a wheelchair
passenger adventure... (absolutely packed bus)... Got to the
terminal... took a bus to NJ GW bridge plaza... took a bus to Spring
Valley/// and finally got picked up by girlfriend.

It was one of the most frightening nights I've gone through...

Normally I take Metro North straight from Grand Central... not
tonight....

BLURF!

I was thinking it was a fault shift along the Northeast fault... that
one near Missouri... but supposedly it was lightning on the Niagara
power plant... seems like Windows was running that system with that
nice viral shutdown... stupid stupid stupid... and now I can forsee
hundreds of hardware trouble tickets tomorrow....AAAAGGHHGH!

*implodes*