[geeks] End of the IRIX line for Indy and Indigo2

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Aug 8 10:11:46 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:26:56AM -0400, Kevin wrote:

> In any event, I doubt it will affect guys like us that much.  I
> wouldn't expect too much from future IRIX releases except bug fixes
> anyway.  It is rumored that in the near future the feature and
> maintenance streams will be merged into one, even further evidence
> that IRIX itself is in maintenance mode.

I expect additional software features. 6.5.20 added quite a bit that I
care about, and 6.5.21 is supposed to add a few more things I might
like, but they don't effect me immediately.

> Besides, the majority of us here are not even running 6.5.20, let
> alone 6.5.21?  I'm running 6.5.18f and feel lucky to get that :)

I'm running 6.5.20.  Is 6.5.21 out yet?  If it is, I believe it only
came out in the last week.  I never do upgrades that quickly, anyway.

I'm trying to scrape up the cash to get basic Fullcare support and
prodev.  After I get that, I'll be working on getting upgrades to an
Octane2 (expensive, but I might as well keep my eyes open to lay the
groundwork of PSU, frontplane, and motherboard, in hopes of the days
when Vpro graphics becomes affordable.  I'm guessing that dual R12ks
will never be cheap though).  The way I look at it, running on SGI
hardware a few years behind, with minimal support contract is a hair
cheaper than trying to run with windows or get into MacOS X.