[geeks] End of the IRIX line for Indy and Indigo2

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Fri Aug 8 09:26:56 CDT 2003

SGI is only concerned with machines that are under support contracts.  While i know there are some, i doubt there are many Indigo2 units out in the world that are covered under support contracts DIRECTLY from SGI.  And for the few that are, this may push them to be replaced by newer hardware (although, perhaps not SGI's hardware unfortuantely.)

In any event, I doubt it will affect guys like us that much.  I wouldn't expect too much from future IRIX releases except bug fixes anyway.  It is rumored that in the near future the feature and maintenance streams will be merged into one, even further evidence that IRIX itself is in maintenance mode.

Besides, the majority of us here are not even running 6.5.20, let alone 6.5.21?  I'm running 6.5.18f and feel lucky to get that :)

Just my two cents,
/KRM