[geeks] Back to the land of the big PX

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Nov 8 09:44:39 CST 2002

"Chris Byrne" <chris at chrisbyrne.com> wrote:

> > Kurt Huhn
> >
> > Well, what you describe sound like Vermont and New Hampshire.
> >

> Yes it certainly does. Both have always been a htought for me, and I
> spent a LOT of time in NH growing up. Plus Vertmont is the last state
> where you don't need a special license for concealed carry, which I
> like.

I'm trying to find an excuse to move to VT, not just for the CCW stuff, but
also for the very libertarian views on personal freedom and responsibility.
Plus, parts of VT are extremely remote, and would make peace and quite
pretty easy.  There's poop that datacenter headquaters for my employer is
going to move in a few years to the northern East coast - and if that
happens my brother-in-law and I are going to push for ME, NH, or VT as the
place to go.  NY, CT, RI, MA, NJ, MD, and DE are not a consideration for us.
 If it does happen that the owners want to go to one of those states, he and
I will likely spin off our own business and move to wherever we want.

> Of course NH and VT in winter are... Interesting ;-)

I love winter - and I own a couple of 4x4 vehicles, so winter doesn't phase
me too much.  Karin has an aversion to cold though, but that just means that
I have to keep the fire stoked :)

> A writer I rather like with a similar background (started off in the
> east, went to a majorn school far from home  moved to california) did
> the same thing a few years ago and now lives in Bradford Ohio and he's
> never been happier. But I'm definitely an ocean person, or at loeast
> large bodies of water. The only way I managed while living in AZ was
> frequent road trips.

Ah, perhaps Maine then?  Either NH or VT would place well within a couple
hours of the Ocean.  Here in OH I can drive a couple hours to Lake Erie, but
that's admitedly not an ocean...

> > Which may not bother you if that's not waht you're looking for now.
> <snip>
>
> Oh no, it's what I'm looking for now. I think I'll always work in the
> business. It's pretty deeply ingrained in me.

I like technology, and I think it's fun, but I don't know that I can do this
the rest of my life.  I'm currently considering going to gunsmithing school
- no shit.  I also bought some sheet copper that I made into cool christmas
tree onaments for family members (as gifts for christmas) and Karin thinks
they're good enough to sell.  I just don't have the time to open a retail
operation right now - though I suppose I never will unles I Just Do It.

Then there's always the lure of custom motorcycles.  I'm thinking of picking
up a couple of wrecked bikes from a speculator north of Columbus and turning
them into something hot.  It Might make for a good winter project (plus I
need an excuse to give away a bunch of computers I don't use anymore in
order to clean out my garage.)

> Honestly if it werent for the politics of the state I would go back and
> just do contract work. Live out somewhere in the north bay or something
> out past pleasanton. Anwyhere outside of the tricounty valley area
> really. Helln I got offered a job in San Ramon a few weeks ago. To be
> honest it is still a thought.

My parents live in Livermore, but they're now considering retireing to OH as
well.  I tried to convince them they'd be happier if they sold thier house
and moved out to the desert East or North of Stockton, but they didn't - and
now they're kicking themselves, as the realestate market has passed them by.
 They're not worried though, my dad's plan is to retire in a couple of years
and take a menial job at Lowes or Home Depot.  He's spent too much time
fighting the good fight in the coporate continuum, and now he's completely
burned out.  All he wants is to have a woodworking workshop where he can
play with his tools, and a floorperson job at Lowes - I don't envy him at
all.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com