[geeks] Back to the land of the big PX

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Nov 8 08:52:44 CST 2002

> Kurt Huhn
>
> Well, what you describe sound like Vermont and New Hampshire.

Yes it certainly does. Both have always been a htought for me, and I
spent a LOT of time in NH growing up. Plus Vertmont is the last state
where you don't need a special license for concealed carry, which I
like.

Of course NH and VT in winter are... Interesting ;-)

> Then, there's always the east-of-the-middle of the country
> where I landed.
> Ohio
<snip>

A writer I rather like with a similar background (started off in the
east, went to a majorn school far from home  moved to california) did
the same thing a few years ago and now lives in Bradford Ohio and he's
never been happier. But I'm definitely an ocean person, or at loeast
large bodies of water. The only way I managed while living in AZ was
frequent road trips.

> Headed West from here, you might want to skip right over
> Illinois.
<snip>

Never had any interest in Illinois, though KY and Indiana are both
possibilities, as is Missouri. I actually rather like the St. Louis area
and Kansas city is a great place. I had also thought about TN, as
knoxville and nashville are both nice places to live with some good job
prospects.

> Which may not bother you if that's not waht you're looking for now.
<snip>

Oh no, it's what I'm looking for now. I think I'll always work in the
business. It's pretty deeply ingrained in me.

> The mid-Atlantic states are nice to visit, but I've never
> looked at them as a place for employment.
<snip>

I don't know, RTP is sposed to be a great area to live and work in. I
like the carolinas in general, and virginia and MD plus there are quite
a few jobs.

> You might want to stay away form the left coast - IMO that
> whole region is
> in a downward spiral.

You know I absolutely love northern california, but it has two major
disadvantages. One, It's part of California physically. Two It's part of
California politically. Amazingly enough anywhere north of SF is pretty
conservative or libertarian (hell a good friend of mine was the chairman
of the party for CA), but the entire state is controlled politically
from LA and SF since that's almost 85% of the population right there. I
ever there was a case against non-geographic proportional representation
in state government it's CA.

Basically anything north of Santa Barbara want's to get rid of anything
south of Santa Barbara. Make it it's own separate state, or hell just
sink it into the ocean. Then the conservatives and libertarians in the
rest of NorCal would balance off the flaming liberals in SF enough that
there could be a normal state.

Honestly if it werent for the politics of the state I would go back and
just do contract work. Live out somewhere in the north bay or something
out past pleasanton. Anwyhere outside of the tricounty valley area
really. Helln I got offered a job in San Ramon a few weeks ago. To be
honest it is still a thought.

Chris Byrne