[geeks] wtb: 2x sbus qfe

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue May 28 00:02:05 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 12:51:27AM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:

> also plan on adding a fddi/cddi network, a gige network, and HIPPI (two
> crimsons). more machines may mean additional purpose-driven (i.e.,
> fileserver, database, etc) networks.

How well can Crimson's take advantage of HIPPI?  I was under the impression
that they were severely limited in bandwidth.  I heard somelike like only
64megs/sec over the backplane?  I probably should have taken the time to
verify it, but considering the age, it might be reasonable.

> have no idea what to do with. i could put two qfe's in the ss10, which
> is underpowered and has less resources than the ss20 i've been building
> up, install openbsd on it, and let it do all the routing/firewalling for
> the network. this would allow me to retire the two pc's currently doing
> the job, and let them do what sambo says is the only thing theyre fit to
> do: be cheap fileservers.

> it would make me very very happy. i see qfe's on ebay for $100-150...
> anyone have a pair theyre trying to get rid of? or need the $$?

That is a lot of money to spend, and I remeber them being more expensive.
And this still doesn't help you when GIGE gets set up.  For what you describe,
I wonder if a modular router might be better.  I have no experience here, but
if I were in your spot, I'd investigate it.  Affordable ones probably won't
ever do gige though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd