[geeks] wtb: 2x sbus qfe

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Mon May 27 23:51:27 CDT 2002

so i was complaining on #openbsd/efnet tonight trying to get my new
gateway set up. basically i have three networks at home:

wireless: 10.1.2.x
100T: 10.1.3.x
10T: 10.1.1.x

additionally, there are boxes connected on their own interfaces to
protect the rest of the network (in the case of a honeypot) or to
provide a dedicated connection to a box (such as webserver -> database
server). the average number of interfaces per box now exceeds 2.0. i
also plan on adding a fddi/cddi network, a gige network, and HIPPI (two
crimsons). more machines may mean additional purpose-driven (i.e.,
fileserver, database, etc) networks.

one of the people there suggested that i take two ipx's (i just won two
on ebay actually), put qfe's in each, and use them to do all the
routing. the simplicity of it struck me. i think this is the right way
to go. he was concerned that the ipx does not have enough backplane
bandwidth to cope with it, and i mentioned that i have an ss10 that i
have no idea what to do with. i could put two qfe's in the ss10, which
is underpowered and has less resources than the ss20 i've been building
up, install openbsd on it, and let it do all the routing/firewalling for
the network. this would allow me to retire the two pc's currently doing
the job, and let them do what sambo says is the only thing theyre fit to
do: be cheap fileservers.

it would make me very very happy. i see qfe's on ebay for $100-150...
anyone have a pair theyre trying to get rid of? or need the $$?

alex

--
alex j avriette, perl hacker
avriettea at speakeasy.net