[geeks] Ahh, the smell of Athlon's burning up

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed May 22 13:20:00 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 12:00:53PM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> See, I have been using Tyan for years. I consider them THE best manufacturer
> of x86 motherboards.
>
> My ranking of motherboards....
>
> Tyan - rock solid, but no overclocking (generally)

When I got my tyan board, I ran into several problems.  First, it didn't fit
my supposedly standard ATX case.  I had to get out a tin snips to modify the
case (the drive bays interfered with the top front corner of the board). This
probably isn't Tyan's fault.

Second, I haven't been able to get a single ISA board to work in the machine.
This made the machine end up costing hundreds more than I expected, trying
to find the problem.  With an ISA card, the machine work work fine, but then
it would crash, and hard, after about 5-10 minutes.

> Asus - solid, some overclocking, but still stable
> Abit - Fast, can be stable, but not what I would call solid
> MSI  - Undecided, we have tons of them and we haven't had any problems, but

I have a mystery board (I knew what it was when I got it, but I forget now.
It was an A name, like Asus, Aopen, Abit, one of those) and a shuttle board.
Not thrilled with either.

--
Joshua D. Boyd