[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sun May 19 13:20:34 CDT 2002

> Yes they do need more hardware support.  A platform that won't
> adequately
> support, at a minimum, GeForce level graphics, and preferably Wildcat
> level
> graphics, plus cards like Truevision Targa2k and better, Digital Voodoo
> cards,
> or LMA SD-601 cards, is pretty pathetic and not suitable for serious
> workstation usage.

says you.

> Whether linux is ideal or not is a mute point as long as *BSD doesn't
> support

moot.

> the hardware needed for getting work done.  Sure, I'll install NetBSD
> for
> some tasks, but it doesn't look like I'll ever be able to use it for my
> main workstation.

i do three things with my "main workstation." i use terminal
applications (vim, etc). i use the web (generally opera), and i read my
email.

i can do all of that in bsd. i dont need fancypants graphics stuff. if i
did, i would use an os that was built around graphics, like osx or irix.
or i guess windows. but, no, i wouldnt use windows.

at any rate, there are hordes of geeks who can get along without
hardware 3d acceleration in their "main workstations."

alex