[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sun May 19 13:51:47 CDT 2002

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 02:20:34PM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:

> at any rate, there are hordes of geeks who can get along without
> hardware 3d acceleration in their "main workstations."

Indeed.  But it's kinda nice to know that this geek can buy some random
bit of hardware and have it be fairly likely to work.  To get that, you
need to support a very wide range of hardware.  Linux does.

However, your claim that supporting a wide range of hardware made it harder
to read the kernel source is silly.  Provided that the interfaces are well-
defined, then device driver writers will not need to mess around in the
main kernel tree, their driver will just slot right in.  They only need to
ensure that their code adheres to the specification for that particular
class of device driver.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  attractivating: inducing the quality of being attractive,
     especially to members of the appropriate sex.  -- Henrik Levkowetz