[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun May 19 11:58:23 CDT 2002

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 11:47:27AM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:

> >The BSDs need more hardware vendor support, too.
>
> no, they dont. what makes linux suck is how over-extended it is
> supporting everything. if they would just flatly say "no, we're not
> going to support joebobs backwoods video card," the code wouldnt be in
> your kernel config and it would be easier to know your kernel. the
> developers could focus on more important things. linux supports
> everything. but because they support everything, they support nothing
> "well." except i guess the intel/amd x86 platform.

Yes they do need more hardware support.  A platform that won't adequately
support, at a minimum, GeForce level graphics, and preferably Wildcat level
graphics, plus cards like Truevision Targa2k and better, Digital Voodoo cards,
or LMA SD-601 cards, is pretty pathetic and not suitable for serious
workstation usage.

Whether linux is ideal or not is a mute point as long as *BSD doesn't support
the hardware needed for getting work done.  Sure, I'll install NetBSD for
some tasks, but it doesn't look like I'll ever be able to use it for my
main workstation.

--
Joshua D. Boyd